Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Will the Chef jacket still fit??

Arriving back in Cape Town South Africa, the beautiful town of Wellington to be precise, I was determined to hit the ground running...My behind was itching to get back in a kitchen and I wasted no time.


Three days after landing I went for my first interview at Majeka House in Stellenbosch. This 5star Guesthouse is rated under South Africa's top ten 5star hotels. Although I'm not qualified in pastry I was very honored to be invited to an interview for a pastry chef position. The interview with Head Chef Tanya Kruger included a cook-off of baking, naturally. I will only add that I failed at providing the WoW factor on any of my two dishes.
Which led to me not getting the job as the pastry chef at Majeka House.
I felt disappointed, only because my two dishes lacked in enthusiasm and creativity.

                                                
Enterance to Majeka House 

It was back to the drawing board for me. I went back to basics and started studying basic recipes and cooking methods and how you can adapt them to create a magical dish on a plate and on the palate.
Lucky for me my next interview was only two days later at the new and beautiful Boutique Hotel and Restaurant on the Au'de Hex Farm, a stones throw from where I live and used to work at Twist Some More.

View of the Au'de Hex jetty with magnificent Lemietberg mountain range.

Stop in your tracks Sunrise...everyday when it's not raining.

It is a Head Chef position, which includes all menu planning and costing which will be very new to me, but who doesn't like a challenge, and I believed that this job will be perfect for me helping the creative juices to flow and to get my career back on track.
The first step on the premises and it's surroundings took my breath away...it amazes me how even after growing up in this beautiful town it just gets better and more breathtaking.

View of the Hotel and garden from the kitchen.

Three days later I received the call: " We have decided on you, Mariza to be our Chef at Au'd Hex and will be delighted if you could join our team."
I was so happy I felt like being an acrobat for a minute...but only for a minute.


I was honored to start at Au'de Vine restaurant, leading the kitchen for the French inspired restaurant and hotel to bigger and better things.
Au'de Hex is known for a place where TIME STANDS STILL, AND YOU CAN SMELL THE ROSES.
I can simply not argue with that.

During my first week I have been flying high like a kite.
-I have been creating and costing new menus,
-Making old, reliable and trusted favorite dishes
Good Old Fashioned Eggs Benedict.
Chocolate and vanilla Baked Cheese Cake


-I had my first function of 56 patrons.
Doing what I love most...functions.

-and I baked my favorite cake, A Carrot Cake.

I have an fantastic second week lined up.
A breakfast function awaits me on Saturday morning ... my hard work in menu planning, costing and ordering will all be put on paper with a NEW menu launch on Saturday 30 August 2014.

To all interested in my Culinary journey at Au'de Hex, hold thumbs all goes well for the build up to the new menu and stay tuned for more photo's and kitchen stories.
A big Thank you to friends who has visited me at restaurant: Len, Wilma, Stephen, Sam and Tessa...love you guys.

Happy to say: The chef Jacket still fits perfectly...
Cooking love
Mariza








2 comments:

  1. Fantasties. Ek is trots op jou en weet hulle gaan nog baie dankbaar wees hulle het jou aangestel. Dine van Zyl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baie Dankie Dine, dit beteken vir my baie.
    Ek is net dankbaar ek het werk gekry waar ek inpas en dat ek al die drade so vinnig kon optel...dit wys my net weereens waar die ware liefde en passie lĂȘ. Daar is groot dinge aan die gebeur, maar ek sal als met goeie tyd vertel;-)

    ReplyDelete